Friday, April 23, 2010

Thing 20:

I had so much fun looking on YouTube and TeacherTube. I have seen several of the videos I found from my own teenagers who share fun things with me. I found this video on TeacherTube and was hit with my own musings about the generation of kids that we are teaching now. I have read a book called Generations (Howe & Strauss, 1991) which shows that in the United States has 4 distinct archetypes of generations that repeat themselves in a cycle. This generation is another Civic generation. The last Civic generation fought in WWII. They follow rules and do what is expected of them by the last older Idealist generation. The Baby Boomers are the most recent Idealist generation and this video is very clearly a new Civic generation. They are all doing this together (reading and singing) at the encouragement of their teachers and the Idealist generation beliefs. It does warm the cockels of my heart to see all these junior high students reading books and singing together. Flashback to the Coca-cola commercials singing "I would like to teach the world to sing"

No comments:

Post a Comment